Pages

Friday, March 1, 2013

Slice of Life Challenge

There is a neat blog entitled: Two Writing Teachers, that was referred to me by my own writing teacher. It is a blog about teaching writing as well as continuing to develop yourself as a writer. They have a challenge to write every day during the month of March called the "Slice of Life Challenge". You don't have to write anything profound, you just have to write every day and post it on your blog. My understanding is whole idea is that if you are writing daily you'll be more observant of the little things in life that you have to write about. They explain it a lot better here, if you are interested. The moral of this story is that I've accepted the challenge, and will proceed to attempt to transcribe a small slice of my life here daily for the remainder of this month. Feel free to join me in the challenge!

It has been a long time since I have been consistent in writing. Ever since my poetry class that required me to write for an hour a day I kind of lost the drive to write, which is sad. I love the feeling of having something that I feel is significant enough to attempt to capture with words. I love the way that writing makes me look at the world through a different lens--a lens that is much more grateful and finds much more beauty in the world. I miss my writing self and my writing eyes. I know that the best way to want to write, is to write, and the best way to become a better writer, is to write. Knowing these things I'm going to make the assumption that the best way to learn to teach students to love writing, is to love writing yourself. Since I'll start my first year of teaching 7th grade this fall, I want to sharpen my skills and my passion as much as I can now, while I've got the time.






9 comments:

Donna Smith said...

Welcome! This is a wonderful place to begin your writing journey. Have fun writing, sharing, reading and commenting.

Tara @ A Teaching Life said...

Welcome, fellow slicer. I know that I became a better writing teacher when I began to write every day, so your 7th graders will benefit from all this slicing, too!

Tammy said...

So glad you joined all of "us" in this month long writng community.

Jaana said...

Welcome to the slicing world!

Margaret Simon said...

Welcome Mary! I so agree with your line, "the best way to learn to teach students to love writing, is to love writing yourself." I believe in this. My passion for writing inspires my students to write. Happy Slicing!

Deb Day said...

As you can see, you have found the perfect place to be a writer and practice your craft. I am a better teacher of writers since I joined this community. Welcome! Have fun. Happy slicing.

Lori said...

I teach young 5's and I know that I've become a better writing teacher for this experience.
I'm glad you joined us.

Mary said...

Congratulations on taking on the challenge!

Unknown said...

I'm in!