Pages

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Saturday Mornings

Saturday mornings in the library are quite serene. There are only a handful of people here for-who-knows-what-at-this-hour. I wonder if they just have a lot to accomplish today and want a head start, or if they have a test that today is the last day to take, or if they just didn't have a very exciting Friday night that would cause them to want to sleep in. Or maybe they just have a good work ethic or something like that and I could learn from them...Working at the reference desk isn't bad Saturday mornings though because really, people don't come seeking more than to check out dry erase markers before 10 am.

As a young girl Saturday mornings were my absolute favorite. I would wake up early and go in to my still sleeping parents room over to my dad, shaking him slightly, asking in my almost whiny little voice, "Daddy, can I watch cartoons?" Usually the answer was yes, and I would then ask if I could also have cereal in a cup.  After receiving his blessing I'd go wake up my younger sister, who would sleepily come join me. We loved to watch our favorite shows with the luxury of dry cereal in a cup, not bowl. We felt quite special and grown up.

There is something magical about this time--when Saturday's weren't filled with work, or homework, or other obligations. The most pressing thing on our agenda was to be able to get to play with our friends at some point during the day. There was no guilt associated with using time to just sit and indulge in watching cartoons, that we weren't doing something else that was more pressing or important. It was just two little girls, awake with the sun, living completely in the moment, enthralled with the simple pleasures of life.



2 comments:

Tani said...

I miss those magical Saturday mornings! Now if I sleep in or spend the morning watching Netflix I feel super guilty. I have a running goal to get my homework done BEFORE Saturday so that it can be my rest day...but it never happens. Maybe next week.

Elizabeth said...

ah I love that last sentence. Awake with the sun, yes.