I taught 7th grade again today. This was my 4th time pretending to be a teacher and I think it went alright. It is, however, one of the most awkward experiences to go into another teachers classroom and take over her lesson plans/ classroom management. It is experiences like these I'm having during my practicum that make me overjoyed that I'm skipping student teaching in favor of doing the year long internship. However, despite the slight awkwardness and mind-reading that comes along with these practicum experiences it is still great practice, and occasionally I have moments where I'm reminded of why I wanted to be a teacher. Honestly I can't pin-point anything specific that happened in today's class that would cause these kinds of feelings, but I enjoyed the feeling of being in front of the class and was excited envisioning a classroom of my own.
Today we talked about how we identify mood in literature and film. They first wrote in their writer's notebooks about a time when they knew their mom was mad, and what clues there were to let them know their mom was in a bad mood. I didn't really consider the prompt and its implications fully until I heard the students' side comments to one another about it: "She beats me." or "She sounds like the devil." Oops. I opened a can of worms that I wasn't anticipating there. However, the prompt did get them writing! Everyone seemed to have a lot to say about the topic. In the future, I think I'll choose a less loaded or less specifically loaded question that didn't have the potential to be a diss to the students' mothers. I think keeping the moms on my side as a teacher is probably a good idea, and feeding the natural adolescent tendency to take issue with their mothers isn't really necessary or wise.
1 comment:
Wow, I'm glad you had that glimmer of what it will feel like when you are in your internship. I love that age to teach...it takes a special teacher who really gets 'this generation'. xo
Post a Comment