Pages

Friday, March 29, 2013

Self-Psychotherapy Sessions

In class we had a writing prompt yesterday which encouraged us to record the methods we use to self-help, or unwind when we've been wound too tight. I really enjoyed writing these things down, so I figured I would repeat the prompt here. So without further ado, here are a few of my favorite things.

  • A long, steamy shower. Usually when I'm home alone, so there won't be any roommates opening and closing my door letting cold drafts interrupt me. Take the time in getting ready doing those things I love but don't really have the time for every day. Shave my legs. Exfoliate. Take care of unsightly cuticles and stray eye brows. I just love to do everything as slowly and as painstakingly as I want.
  • A new coat of nail polish on that wont chip within the first day.
  • A lemon-fresh scented house, the spring sun pouring in through the open windows along with a fresh breeze, after I've taken the time to deep clean with high quality cleaners. I think that I may be the only one in my apartment currently who has ever invested in cleaning products, which is fine by me. I love the feeling of clean and germ free. 
  • Spending quality time with the people I love. Whether this is in person, or on the phone, I love the luxury of talking with my loved ones about more than just the comings and goings of the day. This is especially true about the mom talks I get. Nothing beats a good talk with your mom.
  • Lay out in the grass, and absorb as much vitamin D as is possible and safe. I love the sun. 
  • Take the time to write in my journal, or some other creative space. The fastest path to peace for me is to make a list of things I am grateful for, or to try to recollect the ways that I've seen the hand of God in my life throughout the day.
  • Go to a bookstore just for the thrill of being surrounded by so much potential. I love just browsing the isles, skimming titles and cover art for the sheer enjoyment of what I could read, and what I could learn, if I wanted to.
  • Go to an art gallery by myself. It doesn't matter for how long. Usually I like to have a small notebook with me so that I can jot things down that float through my mind.
  • A long run where I forget where I'm going, and eventually get lost and forget that I went on a run in the first place. I will never be a competitive runner because I get distracted by how beautiful it is outside, and I often just savor the time alone where I can walk and enjoy the fresh cut grass smell and the summer morning sun. My favorite runs are those that turn into even longer nature walks where I can just pour out everything I have been thinking and feeling to God, and listen for his response.
  • Real opportunities to help other people, especially those who won't, or can't, ask for it themselves. I'm ever grateful for the opportunities I get to be in the right places at the right times to offer meaningful service to the people around me. 
  • Listen to good music, loudly. Usually this means semi-obscure indie music that most people haven't heard of.

4 comments:

Kay said...

This is a great list. I would add lying in a hammock on a warm day, just feeling the breeze rock me and maybe paging through a good book--especially an old favorite I've read many times before--or just daydreaming.
This would be a great prompt to share with my students before we leave for summer vacation.

Jen Castagno said...

i seriously was about to write this same post haha. dont be shocked when i do haha

Nanc said...

I do love the list too...I love talking with my daughter, just like you love your mom talks. I also love loud music...not Indie, but country. xo

Mom said...

I love reading your blogs. What a great reminder of how many places we can find peace. I spent a good while reading some of your other blogs to dad tonight too. We love how you inspire deeper thoughts. Love you, Bo Berry!