Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Stonehenge, Salisbury, Bath

Today was our first field trip day. So no classes, just a really long ride in a coach beginning before the crack of dawn, sack lunches in hand. First stop, Stonehenge. I had always imagined it somewhere out in the middle of the English country shop or something. Well, it was just off the freeway. Surprise! It was pretty neat to see something that was so old. A little bit disappointing that you can't go touch it, but still cool. I nearly froze though. By the end I couldn't feel my second toe on my right foot.


Next was Salisbury Cathedral. Salisbury in and if it self was a very cute little city. I like getting out of London into the suberbs, to where real life happens. It was no Saint Paul's, but beautiful none the less.


After we headed of to Bath, the home of Roman ruins, as well as some Jane Austen sites. We are reading Northanger Abbey, and we went to one of the places she refers to where they have dances and such. It was so elegant. I could imagine going to a ball there. I really wanted to dance with a boy or something. Unfortunatly there are only four boys to choose from, and none of them could dance. I'll come back with a real boy someday. The coolest thing was the Roman Museum in Bath. It is actually just a site of an old bath. They built the museum around the site, so you can see all the rooms they have excavated. It was by far the most interesting thing I saw all day. It is cool to walk where Romans walked thousands of years ago, and see where they would have bathed. Plus, it was a the only natural hot spring in England, so it got pretty steamy. ;)

ps. click on the picts to make them bigger, i accidentally downloaded them small.

2 comments:

Gram B said...

Too bad the names didn't ryhme. ;-)
Nice pictures! Were there any flowers in Bath or is it too cold?

Jessica said...

AWESOME! I wish I was there!