When you ask someone how their day has been, the answer is usually, “aright,” “pretty good,” “awesome,” or something like that. If you ask, “Hey, how are you?” the responses are similar: “I’m great!” “Doing well, thanks!” or “”Pretty good!” But what do these phrases mean? “Good,” for one person might mean they are extremely happy while for another person it means their cat just died.
To remedy this problem, I have developed a scale to give everyone a common scale to reference, aids in the discerning of what people really mean when they say their day was “good.”
Once people learn this scale, they can answer the how are you question with a number rather than a place-holder word.
1- six feet under, wish I was dead.
2- it just rained on my parade, wtheck?!
3- Studying on a Friday night
4- there’s a hole in my sock, slight annoyance
5- no complaints- pleasant
6- my mom called today
7- someone bought me lunch
8- Disneyland
9- I just won a lifetime supply of free ice cream!
10- exaltation aka celestial glory
To remedy this problem, I have developed a scale to give everyone a common scale to reference, aids in the discerning of what people really mean when they say their day was “good.”
Once people learn this scale, they can answer the how are you question with a number rather than a place-holder word.
1- six feet under, wish I was dead.
2- it just rained on my parade, wtheck?!
3- Studying on a Friday night
4- there’s a hole in my sock, slight annoyance
5- no complaints- pleasant
6- my mom called today
7- someone bought me lunch
8- Disneyland
9- I just won a lifetime supply of free ice cream!
10- exaltation aka celestial glory
1 comment:
i love this idea so much mary! i think it will be especially helpful to those people who can't read other people's tone of voice.
Post a Comment