Abstinence, n-
Pronunciation: /ˈæbstɪnəns/
The action or practice of abstaining or refraining; forbearance.
(Oxford English Dictionary definition)
To be a writer, is to capture life’s experiences in words. It is to show rather than to tell. It is to bring readers along side you on a journey to the highest of highs, and the lowest of lows. In order to better understand these extremes, I have decided to embark upon a quest of abstinence. By this I probably mean something different that you are thinking. My quest is to live without certain essential things, a different one each day, and then write about it. Or on the other side of the coin do something ridiculous all day long, and then write about it.
Some possible things I am considering to abstain from include no sugar, no f-book, no water, no sleep, no touching my cell phone, no sock wearing, no makeup, no leaving the house, no opening my eyes, no music, no talking, no looking people in the eyes, no homework, no touching my hair, no gluten, no dairy products, and no touching a computer. On the other extreme I am considering only speaking in rhyme, all liquids diet, singing all communication, always looking people in the eye, saying hi to every person I pass by, eating all things green, doing all my homework, asking only personal questions, walking with a limp, interrupting in every conversation, handing out my phone number to every man that comes up to the desk at work, writing every single detail of my day, only speaking in Spanish, and trying to be like Jesus.
Today, I’m trying to be like Jesus. This is a seemingly simple task, but when attempting full heartedly, it can be a great challenge. So all day long, before I do anything, I have to ask myself, “What would Jesus do?” and no matter the response, I have to do it.
2 comments:
i cannot wait for the phone number one
I'm going to challenge the rest of your siblings to join you. What's today on your list? Better yet I'll call you!
Post a Comment