Today I learned a lesson. A few weeks ago I saw something I really liked, but I didn't buy it. I thought, no, I'll think about it and then just come back if I want it. I've been back twice now never to see the lady again. The street goes on forever and ever, but you always find what you're not looking for. Next time I'm going to be more of a compulsive shopper. Interesting observation- I am not a spender at home. I'm really not. I hate shopping on principle, and avoid it until it becomes absolutely necessary. Frankly, spending money makes me want to vomit. Well, here in London the money is different. It is colorful and bigger, and its worth is different. It honestly feels like play money. I have no concept of the worth of a pound, because I've never had to work for one. As a result it is easier to buy stuff. I'm in a play world with play money, buying prizes.
Second lesson learned- how to barter. Going to markets on a rainy day has proven quite fruitful. On these days the vendors seem desperate to make sales. Last weekend was one of these days, and I was with my friend Alyssa. Bringing a friend also proves to be helpful. We were looking around Camden Market, which is kind of a more edgy/hippie market checking out the coats. I saw one I liked, and the vendor man immediately was there asking me what size I wanted. He helped me put it on and held out a mirror for me to asses the coat. It was cute, but how much did he want was the question. He started out asking £45, saying that that was a good deal. I said, no thank you, I don't really want to get it right now. He went down to £38. Alyssa and I looked at each other, and conversed back and forth about if that was a good deal, and could we find a cuter one. yadayada. All apart of the act. mwhahaha. I looked at the man and said, "I just really don't want to spend anymore money today. Thanks though." He got really frustrated and asked how much I wanted to pay. Any price. In my head, I was thinking £20-25, but that was just rude to ask for, I told him I couldn't ask that, and started walking away. He shoved the coat in a bag and gave it to me for £25. Ha. What a deal. The keys to getting a wicked deal: 1. Go on a rainy day. 2. Bring a friend to help you act out the indecisive customer. 3. Be willing to walk away The only problem is that no matter what price he gave me, I would have had a very hard time saying no, just because I feel incredibly bad and cave under pressure. For this reason, I don't try things on unless I am willing to buy something. I'm working on the whole growing a spine thing.
3 comments:
Those are great lessons. These tricks also work in other forein countries. The more you do it, the better you become.
Now if you could find the "room of requirements" is located then you might be able to locate the vendor lady. ;-). Learning to shop and barter is the best skill for saving money. Crazy aunt Liz
I miss....
MARY!
Post a Comment