Pages

Thursday, December 20, 2012

It's the End of the World!

I'm 99% positive that the world isn't really going to end tomorrow as some radical thinkers have predicted based off of their readings of the Mayan calendar. However, I do find it an intriguing thought to consider how I would spend today if it really were the last day of my life on the beloved planet Earth we know and love so much. In reality I think if I knew that today was going to be the earth's last day  I would have already headed up to Idaho to spend the day with my family. But that is a boring answer, so I've brainstormed what other ideas there are of what to do on your last day given the family answer doesn't count.
  • build a  bunker in the living room with pillows and blankets and have a candle light vigil for the earth
  • hug a tree
  • repent
  • spend all my money on really cool memorable activities and eat really good food that is specific to our earth
  • hug the homeless so that they know someone cares, or just hug everyone in the world
As I think about this scenario it becomes more and more complicated. The truth of the matter is that if everyone in the world knew that the world was going to end it would be pure chaos and most of my ideas wouldn't work. The other consideration that makes this scenario constricting is the fact that I'm a Mormon, and the eternal perspective of things, i.e. knowing that there is life after death, makes the last day idea a flop. Another thing is that this scenario just doesn't make sense logically. I just can't see the whole entire world melting away in the space of 24 hours. It took thousands of years to create this thing! It isn't going to go away in the blink of an eye. So much for the 1% chance that today was going to be the end of the world. Long live planet earth!


No comments: