Pages

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Fear of Stagnation

I love the feeling of finishing a semester and having nothing left on my to do list. I really do. However as soon as I finish my last final a panicky feeling starts to set in, because free time is such a foreign concept to me. I think to some degree I define myself by what activities fill my time and the prospect of having to be completely proactive in filling my time with worthwhile activities can be intimidating. I know this probably sounds ridiculous, and I think is evidence of the "grass is greener" syndrome, but it's just the way I feel sometimes.

This break however, I've got plans. I've always wanted to learn how to knit, so I purchased the supplies and am currently trying to learn via Youtube. My goal is to make a scarf and some slippers. Also today I want to go to the Museum of Art here on campus and have a gander and then next week I'm going to go to yoga at least twice. It is really fun for me to remember things I like to do, and to have the chance to actually do them. Sometimes the drudgery of school makes me forget that life beyond the library exists. But the purchase of yarn and knitting needles instantly removed my fear of stagnation. Fear of empty space to fill transformed into excitement over so much opportunity.

This is probably my favorite Mormon messages. It summarizes my feelings on the point nicely I think. Read the whole talk here!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

try being a stay at home mom of one child. unprecedented free time galore! It's really weird and definitely requires a lot of discipline to be productive with your time.

I wish you happy knitting. It's a lovely christmastime hobby to have