Indecision and I are actually good friends. Always have been. Another way of looking at the syndrome would be to say that I am very careful about my decisions, therefore they can take up to years to make.
This being said, I am struggling yet again to decide which direction I want to take in life. I have several options, and I’m sure that all of them would be perfectly fine. But which would be the most fine?
I’m just waiting for someone or something to swoop down and tell me what exactly I should do. Don’t worry, I know that’s not how it works. But I can’t help but dream...
So, here are the ideas I’ve been bouncing around (in no particular order):
A. Be a high school or middle school English teacher. I can apply to the program for next fall, and do my student teaching a year after that. So I would graduate Dec 2012. I don’t know if I want to be a teacher, but I don’t know that I don’t want to be one either. I know that it is something I could be good at. I’m just not sure if my whole heart is in it. I would really need to give it a try to see. Even if I didn’t end up teaching, it would still be good stuff to learn about that I’m sure I could apply to a number of areas. The thing I like about this option is the security it would offer- I would always be able to find a job. I could have summers of with my (future) kids.
B. English BA, with no minor, emphasis in creative writing. Or emphasis in whatever I want. A part of me just wants to take every English class ever. I love learning about it. I love my classes right now. Cons to this option- very little specialization= harder to find employment later. With this option I would probably drag my graduation date out to April 2012 so I could do internships and build my resume before entering the real world.
C. English BA, with a minor in Business Management. This would be the degree to precursor my career as a librarian. They love to see management experience when hiring new people, so I figure this would be a smart minor to have. This is similar to option B. The fun/interesting creative writing classes are just replaced with business and math classes. Graduation would be the same, April 2012, so there would be time to get internships and other resume stuffers.
All of these options lead up to the next phase of planning..To graduate school, or not to graduate school. My dream grad school experience would be to go to Indiana University. They have a program where you can get a dual masters degree in English and Library Science. Talk about heaven. The concerns I have with this plan are: a. time. b. money. c. student loans. d. moving far away. The other internal struggles I’m facing- a. I feel selfish just graduating in plain old english because it doesn’t have an obvious application to be of service to the world. b. I wonder about the balance between getting all the education you can, and living within your means, the balance between being prepared for whatever happens, and wanting to be able to stay home with my kids.
Well, I apologize for the brain vomit. I just had to get it all out there.
This being said, I am struggling yet again to decide which direction I want to take in life. I have several options, and I’m sure that all of them would be perfectly fine. But which would be the most fine?
I’m just waiting for someone or something to swoop down and tell me what exactly I should do. Don’t worry, I know that’s not how it works. But I can’t help but dream...
So, here are the ideas I’ve been bouncing around (in no particular order):
A. Be a high school or middle school English teacher. I can apply to the program for next fall, and do my student teaching a year after that. So I would graduate Dec 2012. I don’t know if I want to be a teacher, but I don’t know that I don’t want to be one either. I know that it is something I could be good at. I’m just not sure if my whole heart is in it. I would really need to give it a try to see. Even if I didn’t end up teaching, it would still be good stuff to learn about that I’m sure I could apply to a number of areas. The thing I like about this option is the security it would offer- I would always be able to find a job. I could have summers of with my (future) kids.
B. English BA, with no minor, emphasis in creative writing. Or emphasis in whatever I want. A part of me just wants to take every English class ever. I love learning about it. I love my classes right now. Cons to this option- very little specialization= harder to find employment later. With this option I would probably drag my graduation date out to April 2012 so I could do internships and build my resume before entering the real world.
C. English BA, with a minor in Business Management. This would be the degree to precursor my career as a librarian. They love to see management experience when hiring new people, so I figure this would be a smart minor to have. This is similar to option B. The fun/interesting creative writing classes are just replaced with business and math classes. Graduation would be the same, April 2012, so there would be time to get internships and other resume stuffers.
All of these options lead up to the next phase of planning..To graduate school, or not to graduate school. My dream grad school experience would be to go to Indiana University. They have a program where you can get a dual masters degree in English and Library Science. Talk about heaven. The concerns I have with this plan are: a. time. b. money. c. student loans. d. moving far away. The other internal struggles I’m facing- a. I feel selfish just graduating in plain old english because it doesn’t have an obvious application to be of service to the world. b. I wonder about the balance between getting all the education you can, and living within your means, the balance between being prepared for whatever happens, and wanting to be able to stay home with my kids.
Well, I apologize for the brain vomit. I just had to get it all out there.
5 comments:
Oh Mary, you're amazing. I'm with you, I LOVE English.
And my advice is not going to helpful at all! I say do what YOU want. Follow your dreams. They are worth following. You're allowed to be selfish when it comes to YOUR future.
:)
I wish I could be more help! You know me...Apply for the Teaching program, and apply for Indiana, and keep your options open as you ponder. It's worth the time now to do those steps in order for you to not make a default decision later. (Default = Oops the deadline(s) passed, so I'll do what option is left.)
Oh yeah, and study it out in your mind means to me to visit a school, talk to someone in the programs. You can ask to talk with participants in the programs, you know...keep exploring and finding out...then play eenie, meanie, miney, moe, and you may find yourself cheering for one over the others. :-)
Mary, I am in your boat and can relate. If it helps, we could sit down and chat it out. But I think that you have sound judgment and will make a wise decision and come out of BYU as a desirable applicant to any job/career. Good luck.
Mary, these are wonderful options! At least you have that! I think you should be an English teacher (just because then we can be twins--I'm doing the same thing)! This option will give you the opportunity to gain experience AND you will have security (e.g. insurance, income, etc). Then, later down the road, once you have that experience go to graduate school and get your master's degree at Indiana. I know a couple teachers that I work with who are working towards their master's in Library Science. Let me know if you have any questions; I could always ask them for you!
Also, getting just a plain English degree does not have many options; you almost always have to continue with a graduate degree! Trust me, I know! I graduated with a degree in English, minor in Philosophy. I couldn't find any real life application with just a English degree and therefore I am now a graduate student!!
I have had the same concerns as you, especially about the balance. I think you just do what you feel is right until Heavenly Father directs you in another path. Make the best decision for you and see what happens:)
Sorry for this long post, just thought I could maybe help you out!
Post a Comment