Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Draft of a poem I'm making up...

the sound of my father's smile

It starts in his eyes as they squint
reaching towards the corners of his mouth.
taking over his whole face

the way he kind of shakes his head when he's laughing
more like a tilt to the side
amused and disbelieving
too good to be true

His laugh is like his smile
filling up the whole kitchen
echoing on the walls
resounding between my ears
my head
my bones
nudging my own smile to life
waking from its hibernation

4 comments:

mom said...

I feel like we're all together in the kitchen...and by the way...your dad's laugh is one of my favorite things! Thanks bo Berry. :)

Becca said...

Hey. I just texted you a photo to put on this poem. I love this poem, by the way.

Ashley A. said...

I love this, too. Your dad has a great smile and laugh.

Calvin said...

I don't know your dad, nor have I ever heard his laugh. But I want more Mary poetry.