This morning I had my first experience as a teacher figure as a substitute teacher of sorts. I was supposed to just meet with my the teacher I'm assigned to do my practicum with but she was gone today, so she sent me her substitute plans so I could play teacher for a day. It was a little awkward because there was a real substitute assigned to the class with me, so we kind of taught the class together. Kind of...
The first class was really talkative and rambunctious. It was hard to classroom manage them. I had terrible flashbacks to my own middle school/high school days where I honestly say that I never liked having a substitute teacher. They drove me nuts. I also never liked the student teachers. Karma? Maybe. I could tell that the kids didn't really like the idea of their teacher being gone any more than I did, but I still had fun. At one point during the class a girl asked me how old I am. I told her to guess. To my surprise she guessed right the first time! 23. That is a hard one to guess I think. I didn't confirm or deny their guesses. I told them I was 45 though and they were totally shocked for a second until I started chuckling.
In summary I learned two important things:
1. 7th graders are funny. I was laughing a lot, not even at them, but with them sometimes.
2. 7th graders are gullible, and this is probably something to be careful with as well as something to have fun with.
This experience also made me excited to teach my own class and my own lessons one day.
No comments:
Post a Comment