Pages

Thursday, May 12, 2011

I need some sleep.


Anyone who knows me knows that after 9:00 pm I get noticeably less coherent with every passing minuet. True story. I've never been fun to hang around at night. In high school, one of my best friends, Emmilie, was a total night owl as well as a movie lover. This was a bad combination with me and my also early-to-bed friend Kristen. Poor Emmilie would find herself staying up late to watch a movie with us, only to have us pass out before the previews were over. Nothing puts me to sleep faster than a movie...My friend Nikki can also attest to this. She has it on record that never did I watch a movie at her house without sleeping through at least part of it--no matter the time of day unfortunately.  It was almost as if I had narcolepsy to a degree. Now, as an older woman, I no longer have the symptoms to the same severity. I still fall asleep in any/all movies, I just don't really watch movies anymore so it is less noticeable. Instead, I just suffer from narcolepsy of the brain. My brain completely shuts down at approximately 9:00 pm, sometimes earlier, never later. I try to warn people before the hour approaches, and try to explain that as my brain shuts off, so does my filter. The things that come out of my mouth unfiltered could range anywhere from absurd to offensive to painfully truthful. More often than not, I feel I resemble someone who has been drinking alcohol or something, although I've never tasted a drop of liquor (thank goodness! I don't want to know what that would do to me....).

The moral of this story is that last night I worked until midnight. Bad idea. This morning my shift started at 8:00 am. Bad idea. This means that right now, I am very overly tired. The whole unfiltered, rambling effect happens long before 9:00 pm if I haven't received adequate rest. I don't feel adequately rested today. This means I'm sitting recklessly behind the information desk, deceiving the patrons of the library. They think they can come up to me for help and assistance with all of their library problems, but they're wrong. I would probably spell my own name wrong right now if I had to write it in cursive. It's happened before. My fingers are typing much slower, and much clumsier than normal. My words are slurring together. My eyes are often caught staring blankly off into space. My main source of oxygen has been deep yawns rather than regular breathing. Heaven help the unassuming patrons of the library.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, this happens to me too! But around 11:00, not 9. :)

Katelyn said...

Mary, I always thought it was 10:00. . . . I think you're getting worse!

mom said...

I'm sorry for any of that that you may have inherited from me. :-)