Pages

Monday, February 15, 2010

Ireland


This past weekend we didn't have class so that we have an extended weekend to travel. On Wednesday I skipped my latest class and headed for the tube station, then off to Victoria train station. We successfully found our train to the airport. Victory numero uno! Then we even found our gate and everything. We landed in Cork, Ireland. A small city off the coast of south western Ireland. We found a shuttle to take us to our hostel, and the driver was the most helpful bus driver I have ever encountered. He certainly didn't play into the creepy bearded bus driver stereotype. In general, the Irish people were the friendliest I've come across yet. We walked always up a hill, noticing graffiti. I dunno, it seemed shady a little bit. Entering into the hostel felt like a scene from a movie; there were young adults lounging about, smoking, surfing the net, doing stuff. We had a private room, and we were assured by the nice front desk lady that we, and our belongings would be safe. We got to our room, it was the size of a shoebox. Super tiny with red bunk beds, blue bed clothes, and purple trim. Despite its cheery feel, I still felt scared to death for some reason at this point. I kept wondering what made me think I could just come to a different country all by myself. Seriously, aren't I a little young for this business? Despite our quiet, unvoiced fears, we hit the town searching for food. The town was easy to navigate. I surprised myself, as I actually kind of navigated a little. We wandered, and found food, there were lots of loud drinking people which added to the experience.
I woke up the next morning much more cheery and confident. We caught a bus to Kilarney, the Ring of Kerry, which is a national park. We took a tour so that we could see as much as possible, and it was well worth the money. There wasn’t a cloud in the sky, the scenery was spectacular. It was like traveling through a mystical fairy world with rolling hills, mountains, ancient Celtic ruins and the real live ocean bluer that I’ve ever seen it! I love love love the ocean. I got to frolic on the beach and everything. It really was the most perfect day I’ve ever had. I even got to finish the day eating at a legitimate Irish Pub. To top it off, on the bus ride home the sky was still clear and it was dark enough to see every single star in the sky.

The following day, the adventure was to explore Cork. We went to the Blarney castle, and I kissed the actual Blarney stone. To do this I was held over the edge of the castle upside down by a kind old Irish man. Very exciting. I should have the gift of Gab now.

The other thing notable was when I tried a traditional Irish breakfast. This wasn’t on purpose, really I just wanted some hashbrowns and eggs with my scone. The lady wouldn’t let me, I had to get the whole meal deal or something which ended up costing me a fortune. I had to choose another entrĂ©e, so I chose pudding thinking it would be a bread pudding or something. Well, it wasn’t. They were these things that looked like sausage, but at the same time they didn’t look like sausage, I didn’t know what they were, but I tried them. It was a memorable experience, but one I never wish to repeat. Upon arriving back in London I have learned I ate blood sausage….I try not to think about it.

All in all Ireland was beautiful and so much fun. They girls that came with me were so much fun and easy going. Now that I’ve practiced traveling Europe with just a backpack, I think I’ll go to Italy or something.

6 comments:

ben said...

Hi Mary,
Lovely read. I didn't like blood sausage much either. REading that made laugh REALLY HARD.
Love you.
Dad

Gram B said...

Great travel adventure! I, like your dad, laughed really hard - but I can relate to the "shoebox" room and "tiny beds". Love you.

Becca said...

hahahahaha HAHA :) :) I laughed. Thank you for that.

Abby said...

Wow, Mary, you are quite the world traveler...I loved this post!! Glad to hear you are having an enjoyable time =) We miss you though!

Ashley A. said...

I am so impressed by this! You are definitely going to be a pro world traveler by the time you get home. All I can say about the blood sausage is yuck. :P

Glad you're having so much fun!!

Stephanie said...

Mary, Ireland sounds beautiful.:) I'm so impressed that you just up and went! That sounds like the ultimate travel experience. Next time you go to England/Ireland, can I come too?:) And those pictures are gorgeous. What a place!!!