Tuesday, September 9, 2008
Follow your heart
Yesterday was the first day of classes. The first one of the day was Physics 117-Acoustics. This fulfills the GE requirement for physical science. Funny thing is I already have six credits in that area from high school, but this specific class will go towards a communications disorders major. The class was full of music majors, or so the professor assumed. It seemed like the first while would be pretty basic, and then they would dive down deeper into more specific science. After the class there is an hour long lab each day. I met a nice girl in that class who wasn't a music major either. We did all the usual introductions, and I recognized a couple of people from the operas that I went to last semester. This was the real deal. The whole time I was in this class however, I just wanted to run out and never come back. I don't know what it was. I used to like science. I think it was just the thought of taking a third year of physics that made my stomach squirm. All I could think of was how to get out, and where to go when I did. Next was New Testament. My mind was running throughout that class too, thinking of physics. I don't know why. I got done with class at 11:15, and went home for lunch. I immediately looked at available classes. There wasn't much open, but there were some communications courses, and some child development classes. But nothing that worked. I dropped the lab. That was a start. Later that day, I looked again. Just for fun I checked guitar classes out, and there just happened to be a couple beginner classes open. Crazy enough, all I needed was a guitar. On a whim, I dropped physics, and New Testament and added the Guitar class, along with a D&C class. Ever since then I've been so excited! Its all I can talk about. I think this is what it feels like to feed your soul. To take a class that has no purpose whatsoever other than to feed an interest. I'm only taking 14 credits. Also, only 6 of the credits are immediately helping me towards my associates. And the best part is, it feels great. I'm done with class each day at 11:15, and so I'm picking up some hobbies. Today I'm applying to help out at Head Start! I'm glad that I watched Mulan 2, and learned that my duty, is to my heart.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Good job Mary. You have to have a little fun in college. I always took at least one fun class, guitar, dance, gym,- a semester. It was a good break.
Oh Mary, I'm glad i read this. I was in the same boat this week, and wound up dropping a class to save what sanity i have left. I'm currently taking only 13 credits, but at least i have room to breath now. Ironically enough, I am also taking a beginning guitar class. I'm so excited to become better.
Thanks Mary, love ya.
Haha I loved this. It fed MY soul. Also sometime we will maybe get to take some classes together... : )
Post a Comment