
What is it that makes eyes so vulnerable? To look at someone in the eye for a long period of time while talking, or not taking for some reason, its not common. When someone looks me in the eye I feel exposed, and like the person can see into me or something. Eyes are like a gateway into who a person really is. When I walk around campus I notice myself looking at all the people that pass me by. Today, I realized that I would look at the person, and then pretend like I wasn't actually looking. Sometimes it feels like if people you don't know, know that you're looking at them, you lose, or your putting yourself on the line, or your making an attempt at friendship or romance. This is crazy. When I realized all the meaning I was putting into a single look, a single smile, I decided it was the end of an era. Why not smile and look directly at those I pass, simply acknowledging them as fellow human beings? I can share a little bit of me, with every person I pass.
On the way home from class, I continued to observe. This time I noticed that people were acting busy and like they had purpose. I know that lots were pretending not to see the passersby, but others just weren't looking. I guess we all have our days. Its just weird to think about all the possible friends, all interesting conversations that you pass by with out ever knowing. My mind boggles when I think about all the students here, and how I will only ever know a handful of them, yet we are all existing in the same space, with similar circumstances. Basically the moral is, I like looking into peoples eyes, and sharing small moments with the people I'll probably never get to share more with.
1 comment:
I like this one a lot. I guess mostly because I felt the same way when I was at school. I loved looking people in the eye and smiling...in a way I was letting myself go out on a limb everytime and I would challenge myself everytime I passed someone to just look a little bit longer. It was a game and everyone was playing, but only I kept score for myself. : ) I love you.
Post a Comment