Miles and miles of dirt. That’s what I see as I gaze out my closed not open window. This is what there is to see when you drive from college to home. Not much. An optimist might note the occasional tree, or the hill/mountain with exotic native sagebrush on it. A pessimist would call this landscape ugly or harsh. I am neither an optimist nor a pessimist; therefore, I take note that there are in fact miles and miles of dirt interrupted only by small farm cottages and telephone poles. Assign whatever adjective you want to before dirt, its still dirt.
On a different note, Yay! I’m coming to visit the place of my family. Goody goody gumdrops.
On yet another note, it is time for me to make a very important decision. I am seeking guidance and opinions from all you fans out there. What should I be when I grow up? There are several options to chose from and several different levels of education that can be strived for. What is right for me? Here are some paths I have been thinking about:
1. Lunch Lady. This got me out of some sticky situations in middle school with pushy guidance counselors, why can’t it work again? It’s a dependable job that I could reach out to all kinds of kids as I slop Sloppy Joes onto trays, or even tuna surprise. I could receive gratification and warm fuzzys as I watch the surprise on their faces when they find that the secret ingredient isn’t in fact tuna!
2. Flight attendant. I’m pretty sure that if I was to choose this for my career path, I would be the favorite daughter hands down. If I’m starving for attention, this is the way to get it. I could fly my parents wherever their hearts desired. Also, I could fly to exotic places and meet attractive foreign priesthood holders with accents to make me their island princess.
3. High School Teacher. Most likely of the English language. If this were my future career, I could talk all the time everyday. I could tell kids whatever I wanted and they would most likely believe me. I could live vicariously thorough my students the high school experience year after year after year and virtually never grow up! On a more serious note, I could inspire kids as they learn about the world, and the way people think and work, and how to appreciate the thoughts, feelings and ideas others have taken the time to record onto paper.
4. Misc. This is the spot where I put everything else I might want to do someday. Art education. Graphic design. Social work? Physics teacher. Home family and consumer science teacher. Inventor. Author and illustrator of children’s books. Worm Doctor.
4 comments:
Well, speaking artist to artist - go graphic design with a minor in business or marketing. I should have listened to my dad when he told me to do the same thing! It really is the best combo - people pay good money for good design. Plus, if you want to do children's books, graphic design will not only give you the knowledge to set the book up, but the marketing or business will give you the tools to sell the book. Good luck and remember, you don't have to go to college to be a lunch lady ;)
I could honestly see you doing any of those things! :) You could always come back to filing. :P Good luck!
You seem to have brought up teaching quite a bit... I vote yes. You would be an awesome teacher. The best part of that is that you could major in English Education, and minor in Art Education. Pick any combination and it would work. That way, you could have some sweet hook-ups at the school, and randomly drop in on the Lunch Ladies, and see how the other half live. I am also really intrigued about the children's book idea. But I do think that you would be fabulous at teaching. (From one teacher to the next...ha ha....)
I vote for graphic design too...because thats what I was supposed to do, and I sometimes regret it. you were so good with all that yearbook stuff!
i miss you...please post again.
Post a Comment