Pages

Saturday, August 31, 2013

The Biggest Month of My Life

I do think it is safe to say that the past 4-5 weeks or so have been the most eventful of my entire life in many regards. A lot of pretty rad changes have taken place including but not limited to:


  • My time working at the Harold B. Lee Library after three years came to a close. It was the best on-campus job I could have ever asked for. It was an excellent people watching position, I could work on my homework, and I really did learn a lot that will help me for the rest of my life in the researching aspect of things. 
  • My time as a real life teacher has begun. Yes, real life. Not a student teacher, but an intern. This means that I have my very own classroom with my very own real-live students in it. I teach 7th grade English and Language Arts and 9th grade English. It has been full of ups and downs so far, but I am learning a lot from my face-plant mistakes that happen daily. Perhaps one of the most obvious lessons I have learned is that the behavior of a class depends mostly on the quality of your lesson plans, and the relevancy of the content you are teaching. It has less to do with the actual students themselves. I had fun setting up my classroom this summer, although it is pretty sparsely decorated, it is nice enough. I will continue to add to it as the year goes on. This next week my 7th graders are doing an elements of fiction unit, and my 9th graders are starting Romeo and Juliet. ak. We'll see how that goes!
  • I learned via my 7th graders that Facebook is no longer a cool thing. I was explaining their independent reading assignment to them, stating the stipulation that they can read pretty much anything, as long as they are reading, except for things like Facebook and Twitter. They just gave me blank stares as I said this. I asked who used Facebook, by a raise of hands, and one girl said, "No one really uses that anymore. It's all about Instagram now." Well. I suppose I'm not up to date as I thought I was. It seems like just yesterday that I was in middle school, but I suppose it was much longer than that...
  • I got married! As far as the actual wedding festivities go, I couldn't have asked for anything better. It was perfect. It was perfect for us to have the reception the night before, because it really took the pressure and stress off of the actual wedding day. This made for a really relaxed wedding day where we could really just focus on the sealing. This, of course, is the biggest and most important event. It is hard to believe I am actually married, because I thought it should feel more different than this. The weird part about the whole thing is how not weird it has been. I love it though. Mostly I love Andrew, and getting to be his wife. 
  • We moved! I love our cute little duplex from the 40s with it's up until recently painted-shut windows, its creaky old wood floors, and strange cupboards that we keep discovering in random places. I love that we have our own space. After 6 years of living with roommates it is nice to have only one--and one that I actually got to choose! Being the control freak that I am, it is so nice to finally be really in control of the state of our house--with Andrew of course. I just mean for once everything belongs to us rather than random stuff from random people clogging up your Feng-Shui. In summary, so far being married is great. It certainly is an adjustment, but a great one that I am happy to make.
  • Well, those are probably the biggest things. Some little things I feel like mentioning are: I have kind of stopped running which makes me sad. I have yet to find the new balance between my new responsibilities. This is my goal next week. Andrew starts his last semester of college on Tuesday which means a lot of excitement. We are almost done watching season 5 of Boy Meets World on Youtube (we started on season 3...) 
  • That's pretty much everything!

2 comments:

Sara said...

Everything sounds wonderful!! I wish that you were my teacher, and I wish that I could have come to your reception!

AV said...

You sound so happy. Love your updates! :)