Yesterday my roommate Jenny and I went to the grocery store returning with the usual number of plastic bags filled with food. When we went to put the groceries away, however, it was apparent that we should probably clean out our fridge before adding to the mess. We began by throwing away everything that used to be produce, and consolidating the condiments that could be consolidated. We ended up throwing away two huge garbage bags full of food. There were things that we found from roommates who haven't lived with us for at least a year...which is quite scary. When we were taking the trash to the dumpster, one of the bags split emitting some really disgusting black goo that dripped all the way down our stairwell. Oops. Within the fridge we pulled out all the shelves and drawers and wiped everything down, doing a job that our mothers would be proud of.
Now, the logic here doesn't make sense. We went to the store because we were convinced we had no food, yet our fridge was full. Such is the college life I suppose. When sharing a fridge there is a lot of food that gets lost, just like socks eaten by a drier, except the food just sits there and becomes unrecognizable as food. By this point there is no way to tell who it belongs to, and so it just sits until a brave soul discovers it and introduces it to the garbage can.
I am honestly quite excited for the day when I'll be able to identify all the food in my fridge, because it will be my very own fridge. I'm excited for the day when I don't have to write my name on all my food. Let's be honest, I can wait until I have a grown up kitchen with matching dishes and silverware and appliances that are worth more than five dollars. In the meantime, at least my fridge is clean, and there shouldn't be anything strange growing in it for at least a week.
2 comments:
not having to share a fridge with 5 other girls is great. I love that my fridge just has food that i want to eat. and no one eats my stuff. haha
ya, having your own fridge is definitely one of those things that turned out to be as awesome as I'd always imagined. My mothers fridge is just as bad as having 6 roommates so I never knew what it was like to literally have nothing but condiments and a couple of eggs in your fridge on shopping day. Also, my first grocery trip as a married woman, I came home and on autopilot, wrote my initials on everything and got laughed at by my husband.
Post a Comment