I'm sorry for the rude excuse for a poem last week mom. Please forgive my adolescent rebellion. I missed out in high school, so I figured I'd get it in now before its too late. ;) But here is my repentance post.
[Warning: this post is sentimental. One man's heart warmer is another man's cheese.]
Things I like most about being home (in no particular order):
1. The excited greetings when I first walk in the door, followed by enthusiastic hugs.
2. The hugs all the time.
3. The philosophical, educational, political, humorous, religious discussions I have with my parents.
4. Sleeping in my own bed, well Becca's old bed, with the electric blanket on and plenty of leg room.
5. Wearing all of Emma's clothes, and not bringing any of my own.
6. The break from all things social, besides family gatherings.
7. Playing connect 4 with Benny.
8. Visiting my grandparents.
9. The endless supply of soda and limes.
10. The fully stocked kitchen--including Kitchen Aid w/attachments and fully stocked spice cabinet.
11. The home cooked meals.
12. Pillow talk with Emma.
13. Being woken up each morning for scriptures and prayers via phone call to the basement. (I don't like getting up super early mind you, I just like being apart of the family--even if I sleep through it some days.)
14. The piano.
15. The Idaho night sky.
16. Playing games as a family. Especially Ligretto.
17. Chaperoning for Benny's parties.
18. Threatening to accompany Emma on all her dates/social outings.
19. Veg-out time to watch TV, and turn my brain off.
20. Helping my mom cook/learning her tricks of the kitchen.
21. Deep literature chats with Dad. Also, whatever advice I can squeeze out of my parents.
Even though I haven't lived in Idaho since the age of 7.5, and haven't stayed at my family for longer than a 2 week period, its still home because of the cool Carlisles that live there and the love that I feel whenever I return. Going back is like pushing a reset button--being with my family reminds me of the person that I am, and the person that they know I can be. Sometimes at school it is easy to forget, and easier to go with peoples' perceptions of you rather than work to let people get to know what really makes you tick. Being with my family also helps me put life into its proper perspective, reminding me that the most important things in life aren't the homework assignments due or the boys that haven't called back. With family those things disappear (or at least move to the back of the line).
Moral of this (not really) story: I love my family. I wish I had words that could adequately express my gratitude for all the blessings they are responsible for in my life.
Moral of this weekend's trip home: To be successful in life takes courage. Courage means picking yourself up after falling on your face. It isn't a question of if you will fall, but a matter of when you fall. But the important thing is whether or not you let the fall slow you down. Emma taught us this by example. She competed this weekend in a scholarship competition (aka pageant). During her dress rehearsal the day of the actual competition she was doing her double back handspring loop-da-loop thing and she did in fact face plant it. She had some lovely scratches and a black eye that later emerged, but was covered up nicely with makeup. But Emma didn't let this event stop her from trying her best that night. She did a lovely job all evening, and when it was time to do her fancy trick she nailed it! I wouldn't ever have the courage to do what she did, not even for $100. Thanks Emma Lee, for an example of how to be brave, even when you've been hurt. :)

2 comments:
I love your family, too--all of you! I too wish I could stop by and glean some wisdom from those parents of yours.
Way to go, Emma!
I love you coming home...You push MY reset button too!
Post a Comment