Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

My worst nightmare...


I have a few fears that many might find to be irrational, one of which is ambiguous meat products. Any meat that needs to be described without the specific reference to a certain animal arouses suspicion. i.e. hot dogs, meat loaf and meat balls. I'm also wary of meat that is ground up, because who knows what could be ground into it...This fear doesn't just stop at meat products, it also spreads over into the casserole category. I don't really care for casseroles where all the ingredients can't be identified, or that include tuna, or Chinese noodles, or tater-tots. Most of these fears/strong aversions come from disturbing childhood experiences involving having to eat while already sick, or eating resulting in prolonged sicknesses. I won't go into detail here...

Today while browsing Pinterest I discovered this recipe for what appears to be the pinnacle of all my fears. Not only is it "meatloaf" but it is meatloaf disguised as something wonderful and good, a cupcake. The suggestion with this recipe is to use it to trick kids into eating meatloaf. I can not imagine a more traumatizing experience than biting into what looks like a lovely carrot cake cupcake with pretty cream cheese frosting only to find it is a jumble of who knows what topped with mashed potatoes and ketchup. Heaven help the children whose mothers think this is a good idea. 

*disclaimer, I really do like Aunt Maggie's meatloaf. She's the only one. Also, her tuna casserole. Again, she's the only one. Sorry mom....

If you do want the recipe for these "cupcakes", here it is. 

2 comments:

mom said...

Beets in Jello salad with sour cream/Mayonaise topping. Enough said. P.S. Can I please have Maggie's recipes? :-)

Emmilie said...

I love you so much. This is fantastic. I laughed out loud. More than once.