Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Boys Are Dumb?


Since I was five, and simply a girl
Enveloped in barbies, dresses, and curls,
My daddy would gather me into his lap
And tell tales of caution, against all young chaps.

“Boys are dumb!” He’d solemnly say.
“You’re not getting married, ‘till I say it’s ok!”
“Age 35 seems a sensible age,”
“What do you think, my darling? Will you wait for that day?”

Wide eyed and trusting I’d nod in accord,
Not daring to question, or look at all bored.
“If dad says it’s so, then it really must be.”
“I guess boys are silly,”  I came to agree.

Sixteen years later, I’m no longer a girl,
My childhood has flown by in one giant whirl.
My dad no more gathers me into his lap,
for fear that my weight will splinter his back.

Instead, every Sunday, he gives me a call,
“Boys are dumb!” He firmly exclaims.
“You’re not getting married, ‘till I say it’s ok!”
“Age 35 seems a sensible age,”
“What do you think, my darling? Will you wait for that day?”

I roll my eyes, and laugh under my breath,
Not wanting to give cause to his sudden death.
I dare not tell him that I disagree,
that I really like boys, and have since I was three.

I’ll just keep Jacob, and Kyle, and Tim under wraps.
What dad doesn’t know won’t hurt him-- concerning these chaps.
Of course I will obey and honor my dad,
But in this case his view seems a little bit rad.

By this point I’ve learned that he’s slightly biased.
He wants to protect the girls he holds highest.
The dumbness of boys, must not really matter.
Cause mom married dad, and he once was a boy.

*This poem is dedicated to my mom. And my dad. Love yoU!

4 comments:

mom said...

I laughed, I cried, I bless the day you came to my life :-). You're every bit as good as chocolate...In fact, you're BeTTer!

Tori Dumke said...

This is so darling Mary! And so are you.

Jessica said...

Too cute Mary! You should publish that one!

Becca said...

Bravo. but I think you left out some of Dad's lines I texted you for him... I don't know why.