Pages

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Jelly Beans

Today I brought a small zip-lock bag full of Jelly Bellys to school for a distraction in case I accidentally fall start nodding of in class. Usually when I eat them, I just grab a few, pop them into my mouth, and chew. But for some reason today I took my time, and ate them slowly one at a time.

These happened to be magic beans.

As I ate them time slowed down. I could enjoyed each Jelly Bean's individual distinct flavor, and the distinct memory attached to the flavor. Or the feeling. Or color. Do colors have taste? Or do tastes have colors?

Perhaps these beans turned out to have a magical philosophical flavor because I ate them right after my english class in which we talked about different ways to record our experiences, and different lenses with which we can view the world. We talked about how things aren't real, until they are communicated. In some instances the transcribing of experiences, or thoughts is in where they gain their value. But other things are lost in the translation. We can choose to view the world from different perspectives. As an artist, adventurer, civilian, ecologist, you name it. Each role would see and experience different things. There are also different meanings found it the different modes of transcribing our thoughts. There is a difference between oral, written, typed, or photographed expressions. Each will show a different perspective, and therefore create a different reality for the doer.

I'm grateful for the effect of the magic beans, that slowed time and helped me to create a moment to stop and smell the whatever.

2 comments:

mom said...

I just clicked 'LIKE'.

Jessica said...

That's deep for jelly beans! You need to write books, Mary!