Basically she talked about how cool gratitude is and how powerful it can be as a tool to increase your happiness and overall well being as well as how it fosters healthy relationships. She explained:
"There are four aspects that go into gratitude; intensity,
frequency, span, and density. Intensity refers to the amount of gratitude you
feel about a certain thing. Frequency is how often you feel grateful. Span is
the time period you might feel grateful about (your whole life, the last five
years, etc), and density looks at how you are able to see the mass amounts of
effort that had to go into one event (i.e. Graduating from High School. Are you
grateful for just your teachers or for the lunch ladies, the bus driver, your
fellow students, etc?) By looking at these four measures one can better
understand how grateful a person is, and as they increase in any of the four
areas they can see greater affects."
This has inspired me to strive to become a more grateful person. So I've decided to take one of these aspects per week to focus on for the next 4 weeks leading up to Christmas. This week I'm practicing frequency. In order to do this I went to the bookstore today and purchased one of these-
It is a tiny moleskin notebook. Tiny. My aim is to fill it up completely with things I am grateful for as I experience gratitude for them by the end of the week. I've only been working on this for a few hours so far, but it is incredible how much there is to be grateful for when you think about it. So far this is the best idea of the month, possibly year, and I'm even grateful for the idea. I think this will be an excellent way to close out the year 2012.

No comments:
Post a Comment