Today I woke up and all I wanted to do was go running with Becca. Is that so difficult? She gave about three million excuses why she didn't want to go running, but she agreed to go on a walk in exchange for me going to the store with her later. We decided to go combine the two activities, and walk to the store. So I got dressed for the event. Problem was I couldn't really find my shorts ( I haven't exactly unpacked yet), but I did find my really ugly stretch pants. What can I say, I couldn't resist. The first socks I found just happened to be argyle, and I was already wearing a tie-dye shirt. To stop the cool breeze, I borrowed my dad's flannel shirt. Some might say this is an atrocious combination. Ordinarily I would agree. But for some reason it didn't phase me today. Well, my sisters caught on to the fact that I fully intended to go as I was, and they jumped on my band wagon and got together equally exciting ensembles. Becca had some lovely polka dot stretch pants, leg warmers, and her famous tie-dye, while Emma sported some rather tight exercise pants, one pink sock, and a sweat shirt with the word EASY written in hot pink across the chest. Needless to say as we walked to Walmart, we turned a few heads and even got a few whistles. 5 miles later, we got there. My mom gave us some money, and some pizza for lunch. She wouldn't let us eat it in the car. She gently encouraged us to "sit like homeless people on the curb and eat your food". This we did. We picked up the things we needed, and then set off to walk home, rather tired. Our goal was to get to Maverick so we could have Slurpees. Oh Maverick. So far away. After what felt like four hours we made it. And we called Mom to come get us. She really is the best mom in the world, and she rescued us from the afternoon heat in a jiffy. In retrospect, this is probably the most red neck thing I have ever done. It was liberating in a way. A strange twisted way. I really do look back with no regrets, only questioning, "What were we thinking?" Honestly, I give no real motive for this absurd adventure. Perhaps since I'm no longer in London I have to work harder to get the same high I got from living there. Maybe this is just an experience that is like a gateway drug, and I'll have to seek out more absurd and awkward activities from here on out to achieve the same excitement.

Me eating my pizza on the curb.

Almost to Slurpee heaven...37 more miles to go!

*Ironic note: I wore the sweet walking shoes I got in preparation to going to Italy and walking a thousand miles there. Funny they would never see Italy, but would become familiar with Wally world.
4 comments:
oh mary..I miss you and your stretchy pants.
I so love reading about your adventures, they really help to bring a smile to my face...
Mary our adventures in Salt Lake this summer must be equally adventurous...but hopefully more stylish? I miss you!
wow. :)
Post a Comment